Friday, May 21, 2010

iPad and iPad SDK

I recently started working with an iPad. My initial impression is it is pretty cool. It is targeted squarely at the consumer market though. This isn't a device you are going to use to do development on or a lot of typing (more on typing in a bit). It is a device you are going to love to lay on the couch, read and answer emails, surf the net and watch TV on. The display is very, very nice. The overall user experience is much better than the iPhone simply because everything is larger. I do have the same concern that many do that it is a bit hard to hold and I always worry about dropping it. It also is heavier than I expected. Fingerprints are also an issue but easily taken care of. I found typing to be very easy on the iPad but I am not a touch typist. When I handed it to my wife she struggled with typing because she is. The kids grabbed it when I got home last night and I didn't get it back until early this morning - they loved it.

Next step for me was to begin doing iPad development. To do this you need to have the latest SDK installed at least SDK 3.2. I had an older version installed so I was a bit worried about how XCode and the SDK would update (you will likely need to install both). I downloaded XCode with the SDK 3.2. It is about a 2GB download so be prepared for a long download. Once it downloaded I ran the installer and it detected what I already had installed and installed the new versions of XCode and the SDK with no problem. I fired up XCode and selected iPad as the target under iPhone apps and built a blank screen iPad app. When I ran it the iPad emulator started up just like the iPhone emulator does. The iPad emulator works great just like the iPhone emulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment