Monday, June 7, 2010

WWDC Day 1

I arrived in San Francisco and registered at WWDC at about noon. I missed all the excitement (the keynote) with Steve Jobs not being able to connect during his demo but I can tell you that when several thousand people each with a MacBook, iPhone or iPad all try and connect in that room it is slow. In any case the big news is the next generation iPhone and iOS 4.0 (now called that as iTouch, iPhone and iPad all share the same OS) will be out later this month. I have heard the OS will be a free upgrade.

I attended the Developer Tools State of the Union and the big news from that session is that XCode 4.0 is coming out. I am supposed to be able to download it from the WWDC portal but I am sure 5000 of my friends will be trying to do that as well. I have never seen so many MacBook Pros and the iPad is all over the place. I wish I had the iPad along but I am still packing the Dell Latitude and a MacBook Pro and an iPhone and another device would have put me over the top in the geek factor. XCode 4.0 will have everything in one window. The demos show it acting a lot more like Visual Studio with some neat features I'd like to see in Visual Studio. Tomorrow will be a jammed day so I will update all of you then.

I also figured out how to deploy to my phone. This does require an Apple Developer ID and the $99 payment to generate the info from Apple to allow deployment to the phone. Read more here. It worked fine - now I have my own iPhone flashlight app.

No comments:

Post a Comment